Skip to Main Content
Densidad de artrópodos activos en la superficie del suelo de un bosque novedoso de Castilla elasticaAuthor(s): Maria Rivera; Ariel E. Lugo; Shalom V. Vázquez
Source: Acta Científica. 22(1-3): 3-11
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: View PDF (377.02 KB)
DescriptionDuring the month of June 2008 we collected arthropods active on the surface of the ground in a forest of Castilla elastica located in the northern karst’s Tallonal Reserve in Arecibo, Puerto Rico. In each of 4 plots of 10 m x 10 m we placed three randomly distributed pitfall traps. The traps, which allowed the passage of organisms smaller than 5 mm wide, remained on the field for seven days. The samples collected in the field were taken to the laboratory for subsequent identification and counting of organisms. We found 13 taxa belonging to three classes of arthropods, with an average density of 84.783 ± 13.523 (SE, n = 12) organisms/m2. The density of organisms varied spatially. Coleoptera larvae and adults were the most abundant arthropods with a relative density of 81 percent. The density of arthropods in this study was similar to that reported in lowland forests and dry forests in Puerto Rico and over the forested wetlands in Puerto Rico with the exception of mangroves and the tabonuco forest.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRivera Costa, Maria M.; Lugo, Ariel E.; Vázquez, Shalom V. 2008. Densidad de artrópodos activos en la superficie del suelo de un bosque novedoso de Castilla elastica. Acta Científica. 22(1-3): 3-11. .
Keywordsnovel forests, Puerto Rico, arthropods
- Balance de carbono en un bosque novedoso de Castilla elastica: resultados preliminares
- Estructura y química del suelo en un bosque de Castilla elastica en el carso del norte de Puerto Rico: resultados de una calicata
- Species composition, diversity and structure of novel forests of Castilla elastica in Puerto Rico
XML: View XML