Skip to Main Content
Understanding the science of climate change: Talking points - Impacts to the Great LakesAuthor(s): Amanda Schramm; Rachel Loehman
Source: Natural Resource Report NPS/NRPC/NRR - 2010/247. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Natural Resource Program Center. 32 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (3.92 MB)
DescriptionClimate change presents significant risks to our nation’s natural and cultural resources. Although climate change was once believed to be a future problem, there is now unequivocal scientific evidence that our planet’s climate system is warming (IPCC 2007a). While many people understand that human emissions of greenhouse gases have significantly contributed to recent observed climate changes, fewer are aware of the specific impacts these changes will bring. This document is part of a series of bio-regional summaries that provide key scientific findings about climate change and impacts to protected areas. The information is intended to provide a basic understanding of the science of climate change, known and expected impacts to resources and visitor experience, and actions that can be taken to mitigate and adapt to change. The statements may be used to communicate with managers, frame interpretive programs, and answer general questions from the public and the media. They also provide helpful information to consider in developing sustainability strategies and long-term management plans.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchramm, Amanda; Loehman, Rachel. 2010. Understanding the science of climate change: Talking points - Impacts to the Great Lakes. Natural Resource Report NPS/NRPC/NRR - 2010/247. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Natural Resource Program Center. 32 p.
Keywordsclimate change, impact, sustainability strategies, management plans, the Great Lakes
- Freshwater resources in designated wilderness areas of the United States: A state-of-knowledge review
- Chapter 3: Climate change at multiple scales
- Modeling historic variation and its application for understanding future variability (section 3)
XML: View XML