Skip to Main Content
The Fire INventory from NCAR (FINN): a high resolution global model to estimate the emissions from open burningAuthor(s): C. Wiedinmyer; S. K. Akagi; R. J. Yokelson; L. K. Emmons; J. A. Al-Saadi; J. J. Orlando; A. J. Soja
Source: Geoscientific Model Development Discussions. 3: 2439-2476.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.29 MB)
DescriptionThe Fire INventory from NCAR version 1.0 (FINNv1) provides daily, 1 km resolution, global estimates of the trace gas and particle emissions from open burning of biomass, which includes wildfire, agricultural fires, and prescribed burning and does not include 5 biofuel use and trash burning. Emission factors used in the calculations have been updated with recent data, particularly for the non-methane organic compounds (NMOC). The resulting global annual NMOC emission estimates are as much as a factor of 5 greater than some prior estimates. Chemical speciation profiles, necessary to allocate the total NMOC emission estimates to lumped species for use by chemical transport 10 models, are provided for three widely used chemical mechanisms: SAPRC99, GEOSCHEM, and MOZART-4. Using these profiles, FINNv1 also provides global estimates of key organic compounds, including formaldehyde and methanol. The uncertainty in the FINNv1 emission estimates are about a factor of two; but, the estimates agree closely with other global inventories of biomass burning emissions for CO, CO2, and 15 other species with less variable emission factors. FINNv1 emission estimates have been developed specifically for modeling atmospheric chemistry and air quality in a consistent framework at scales from local to global. The product is unique because of the high temporal and spatial resolution, global coverage, and the number of species estimated. FINNv1 can be used for both hindcast and forecast or near-real time model 20 applications and the results are being critically evaluated with models and observations whenever possible.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiedinmyer, C.; Akagi, S. K.; Yokelson, R. J.; Emmons, L. K.; Al-Saadi, J. A.; Orlando, J. J.; Soja, A. J. 2010. The Fire INventory from NCAR (FINN): a high resolution global model to estimate the emissions from open burning. Geoscientific Model Development Discussions. 3: 2439-2476.
KeywordsFire INventory from NCAR version 1.0 (FINNv1), trace gas, particle emissions, open burning, biomass
- New global fire emission estimates and evaluation of volatile organic compounds
- Emission factors for open and domestic biomass burning for use in atmospheric models
- Coupling field and laboratory measurements to estimate the emission factors of identified and unidentified trace gases for prescribed fires [Discussions]
XML: View XML