Skip to Main Content
Fire characteristics charts for fire behavior and U.S. fire danger ratingAuthor(s): Faith Ann Heinsch; Pat Andrews
Source: In: Wade, Dale D.; Robinson, Mikel L., eds. Proceedings of 3rd Fire Behavior and Fuels Conference; 25-29 October 2010; Spokane, WA. Birmingham, AL: International Association of Wildland Fire. 15 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.13 MB)
DescriptionThe fire characteristics chart is a graphical method of presenting U.S. National Fire Danger Rating indices or primary surface or crown fire behavior characteristics. A desktop computer application has been developed to produce fire characteristics charts in a format suitable for inclusion in reports and presentations. Many options include change of scales, colors, labels, and legend. The fire danger fire characteristics chart displays the relationship among SC, ERC, and BI by plotting the three values as a single point. A chart can be used to compare years, months, weather stations, and fuel models. Indices calculated by FireFamilyPlus can be imported into the fire characteristics chart program. Surface and crown fire behavior charts are separate because a different flame length model is used for each. Plotted values can be observed rate of spread and flame length or calculated values from a program such as the BehavePlus fire modeling system. The charts can aid fire model understanding by comparing, for example, the effect of a change in fuel model or wind speed on fire behavior. Other applications include fire documentation, prescribed fire plans, and briefings.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeinsch, Faith Ann; Andrews, Patricia L. 2010. Fire characteristics charts for fire behavior and U.S. fire danger rating. In: Wade, Dale D.; Robinson, Mikel L., eds. Proceedings of 3rd Fire Behavior and Fuels Conference; 25-29 October 2010; Spokane, WA. Birmingham, AL: International Association of Wildland Fire. 15 p.
KeywordsEnergy Release Component, Spread Component, Burning Index, rate of spread, fireline intensity, flame length, heat per unit area, computer program
- How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for the U.S. fire danger rating system
- How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for surface and crown fire behavior
- Charts for interpreting wildland fire behavior characteristics
XML: View XML