Skip to Main Content
A new species of Laricobius (Coleoptera: Derodontidae) from Japan with phylogeny and a key for native and introduced congeners in North AmericaAuthor(s): Montgomery Michael E.; S. Shiyake; Nathan P. Havill
Source: Annals of the Entomological Society of America 104(3):389-401.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (609.6 KB)
DescriptionLaricobius osakensis Montgomery and Shiyake sp. nov., collected from Adelges tsugae Annand on hemlock [Tsuga sieboldii Carr. and Tsuga diversifolia (Maxim.) Mast.] in Japan, is described and illustrated. The new species was collected from several localities on Honshu, Shikokou, and Kyushu Islands. The genus has not been reported previously from Japan. Morphological features, a molecular phylogeny, and diagnostic DNA sites are provided to distinguish this new species from previously described species of the genus. Because of plans to release L. osakensis for the biological control of A. tsugae in eastern North America, a key and discussion are provided to differentiate it from the native North American species, Laricobius nigrinus Fender, Laricobius laticollis Fall, and Laricobius rubidus LeConte, and from two previously imported speciesLaricobius erichsonii Rosenhauer, which is endemic in Europe, and Laricobius kangdingensis Zilahi-Balogh & Jelinek, which is endemic in China.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMontgomery, Michael E.; Shiyake, S.; Havill, Nathan P. 2011. A new species of Laricobius (Coleoptera: Derodontidae) from Japan with phylogeny and a key for native and introduced congeners in North America. Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 104: 389-401.
KeywordsDerodontidae, Laricobius, new species, adelgid predators, molecular diagnostics
- Behavioral responses of Laricobius spp.and hybrids (Coleoptera: Derodontidae) to hemlock woolly adelgid and adelgid host tree odors in an olfactometer
- Behavioral Responses of Laricobius spp. and Hybrids (Coleoptera: Derodontidae) to Hemlock Woolly Adelgid and Adelgid Host Tree Odors in an Olfactometer
- Assessment of the potential for hybridisation between Laricobius nigrinus (Coleoptera: Derodontidae) and Laricobius osakensis, predators of the hemlock woolly adelgid (Hemiptera: Adelgidae)
XML: View XML