Skip to Main Content
Hardwood log grades and lumber grade yields for factory lumber logsAuthor(s): Leland F. Hanks; Glenn L. Gammon; Robert L. Brisbin; Everette D. Rast
Source: Res. Pap. NE-468 Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 92 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (5.32 MB)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service Standard Grades for Hardwood Factory Lumber Logs are described, and lumber grade yields for 16 species and 2 species groups are presented by log grade and log diameter. The grades enable foresters, log buyers, and log sellers to select and grade those log suitable for conversion into standard factory grade lumber. By using the apropriate lumber grade yields, log buyers and sellers can appraise the logs in terms of expected lumber grade volume and value. This report supersedes an earlier report on hardwood log grading, Forest Service Research Paper FPL 63.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHanks, Leland F.; Gammon, Glenn L.; Brisbin, Robert L.; Rast, Everette D. 1980. Hardwood log grades and lumber grade yields for factory lumber logs. Res. Pap. NE-468 Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 92 p.
Keywordslog quality, end product yields, log value
- Green Lumber Grade Yields for Subfactory Class Hardwood Logs
- Interim hardwood tree grades for factory lumber
- Lumber Grade Yields for Graded Aspen Logs and Trees
XML: View XML