Skip to Main Content
NED-2 User's GuideAuthor(s): Mark J. Twery; Peter D. Knopp; Scott A. Thomasma; Donald E. Nute
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-85. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 193 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (5.07 MB)
DescriptionThis is the user's guide for NED-2, which is the latest version of NED, a forest ecosystem management decision support system. This software is part of a family of software products intended to help resource managers develop goals, assess current and future conditions, and produce sustainable management plans for forest properties. Designed for stand-alone Windows-based personal computers, NED-2 integrates a variety of forest management tools into a single environment. These tools include databases, growth and yield models, wildlife models, geographic information systems (GIS), visualization tools, and others. This user's guide provides guidance for use of the software and a basic introduction to the principles and calculations used in NED-2. A reference guide with more detailed explanations of the models, equations, and rules that underlie the software is available separately http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/40931/. The NED-2 software and related documentation may be downloaded from http://nrs.fs.fed.us/tools/ned/products/ned2/.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTwery, Mark J.; Knopp, Peter D.; Thomasma, Scott A.; Nute, Donald E. 2011. NED-2 User's Guide. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-85. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 193 p.
Keywordsdecision support, forest management, multiple objectives, ecosystem management, growth simulation, desired future conditions, alternative comparisons, goal evaluation, eastern North America
- NED-2 reference guide
- Intelligent Model Management in a Forest Ecosystem Management Decision Support System
- An Intelligent Information System for forest management: NED/FVS integration
XML: View XML