Skip to Main Content
Methods and equations for estimating aboveground volume, biomass, and carbon for trees in the U.S. forest inventory, 2010Author(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Linda S. Heath; Grant M. Domke; Michael C. Nichols
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-88. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 30 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (408.27 KB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program uses numerous models and associated coefficients to estimate aboveground volume, biomass, and carbon for live and standing dead trees for most tree species in forests of the United States. The tree attribute models are coupled with FIA's national inventory of sampled trees to produce estimates of tree growing-stock volume, biomass, and carbon, which are available in the Forest Inventory and Analysis database (FIADB; http://fiatools.fs.fed.us). To address an increasing need for accurate and easy-to-use documentation of relevant tree attribute models, needed individual tree gross volume, sound volume, biomass (including components), and carbon models for species in the United States are compiled and described in this publication with accompanying electronic files on a CD-ROM (13.4 MB Zip) included with the publication. This report describes models currently in use as of 2010. These models are subject to change as the FIADB and associated tree attribute models are improved.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Heath, Linda S.; Domke, Grant M.; Nichols, Michael C. 2011. Methods and equations for estimating aboveground volume, biomass, and carbon for trees in the U.S. forest inventory, 2010. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-88. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 30 p.
Keywordsbiomass equations, forest carbon, dead tree biomass, Forest Inventory and Analysis, volume equations, sound cubic foot, gross cubic foot
- Investigation into calculating tree biomass and carbon in the FIADB using a biomass expansion factor approach
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, 2016
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program
XML: View XML