Skip to Main Content
Genetic analysis of emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire) populations in Asia and North AmericaAuthor(s): Alicia M. Bray; Leah S. Bauer; Therese M. Poland; Robert A. Haack; Anthony I. Cognato; James J. Smith
Source: Biological Invasions. 13: 2869-2887.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (435.8 KB)
DescriptionEmerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), is an invasive pest of North American ash (Fraxinus spp.) trees first discovered outside of its native range of northeastern Asia in 2002. EAB spread from its initial zone of discovery in the Detroit, Michigan and Windsor, Ontario metropolitan areas, in large part, from inadvertent human-assisted movement of infested ash materials. EAB infestations are now known in 15 US states and two Canadian provinces. The primary goal of this study was to use molecular markers to characterize the population genetic structure of EAB in its native and introduced range. This information may provide valuable insights on the geographic origin, potential host range, invasion potential, and additional biological control agents for ongoing management efforts of this destructive wood-boring beetle. EAB were collected from 17 localities in its native Asian range and from 7 localities in North America, and population structure analyzed using mtDNA gene sequences, AFLP fingerprints, and alleles at 2 microsatellite loci.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBray, Alicia M.; Bauer, Leah S.; Poland, Therese M.; Haack, Robert A.; Cognato, Anthony I.; Smith, James J. 2011. Genetic analysis of emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire) populations in Asia and North America. Biological Invasions. 13: 2869-2887.
KeywordsAgrilus planipennis, population genetics, mtDNA, AFLP, microsatellites, invasive species
- Invasion genetics of emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire)
- Host range of emerald ash borer
- Modeling potential movements of the emerald ash borer: the model framework
XML: View XML