Skip to Main Content
Adventures in the enormous: a 1.8 million clone BAC library for the 21.7 Gb genome of loblolly pineAuthor(s): Zenaida V. Magbanua; Seval Ozkan; Benjamin D. Bartlett; Philippe Chouvarine; Christopher A. Saski; Aaron Liston; Richard C. Cronn; C. Dana Nelson; Daniel G. Peterson
Source: PLoS ONE. 6(1): 1-9
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.36 MB)
DescriptionLoblolly pine (LP; Pinus taeda L.) is the most economically important tree in the U.S. and a cornerstone species in southeastern forests. However, genomics research on LP and other conifers has lagged behind studies on flowering plants due, in part, to the large size of conifer genomes. As a means to accelerate conifer genome research, we constructed a BAC library for the LP genotype 7-56. The LP BAC library consists of 1,824,768 individually-archived clones making it the largest single BAC library constructed to date, has a mean insert size of 96 kb, and affords 7.6X coverage of the 21.7 Gb LP genome. To demonstrate the efficacy of the library in gene isolation, we screened macroarrays with overgos designed from a pine EST anchored on LP chromosome 10. A positive BAC was sequenced and found to contain the expected full-length target gene, several gene-like regions, and both known and novel repeats. Macroarray analysis using the retrotransposon IFG-7 (the most abundant repeat in the sequenced BAC) as a probe indicates that IFG-7 is found in roughly 210,557 copies and constitutes about 5.8% or 1.26 Gb of LP nuclear DNA; this DNA quantity is eight times the Arabidopsis genome. In addition to its use in genome characterization and gene isolation as demonstrated herein, the BAC library should hasten whole genome sequencing of LP via next-generation sequencing strategies/technologies and facilitate improvement of trees through molecular breeding and genetic engineering.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMagbanua, Zenaida V.; Ozkan, Seval; Bartlett, Benjamin D.; Chouvarine, Philippe; Saski, Christopher A.; Liston, Aaron; Cronn, Richard C.; Nelson, C. Dana; Peterson, Daniel G. 2011. Adventures in the enormous: a 1.8 million clone BAC library for the 21.7 Gb genome of loblolly pine. PLoS ONE. 6(1): 1-9.
Keywordsloblolly pine, genetics, genomics, BAC library
- Reference karyotype and cytomolecular map for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)
- Identification of a new retrotransposable element in loblolly pine
- Conifer DBMagic: A database housing multiple de novo transcriptome assemblies for twelve diverse conifer species
XML: View XML