Skip to Main Content
The phylogenetic placement of Picoa, with a first report on Picoa lefebvrei (Pat.) Maire (=Phaeangium lefebvrei) from IranAuthor(s): A. Ammarellou; M.E. Smith; M.A. Tajick; J.M. Trappe
Source: International Journal of Environmental Research. 5(2): 509-514
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.06 MB)
DescriptionDesert truffles, hypogeous Pezizales (Ascomycota), are difficult to identify due to evolutionary convergence of morphological characters among taxa that share a similar habitat and mode of spore dispersal. In this paper we document the presence of Picoa lefebvrei (Pat.) Maire (=Phaeangium lefebvrei) in Iran and use phylogenetic analysis of the ITS and 28s rDNA to show that this species belongs to the Geopora-Tricharina clade of the Pyronemataceae (Pezizales, Ascomycota). Picoa lefebvrei was originally placed in the genus Phaeangium because of notable spore ornamentation not present in other species of Picoa. However, our analyses of both phylogenetic and morphological data suggest that P. lefebvrei is closely related to Picoa juniperi Vittad, the type species for the genus Picoa.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAmmarellou, A.; Smith, M.E.; Tajick, M.A.; Trappe, J.M. 2011. The phylogenetic placement of Picoa, with a first report on Picoa lefebvrei (Pat.) Maire (=Phaeangium lefebvrei) from Iran. International Journal of Environmental Research. 5(2): 509-514.
Keywordsdesert truffles, molecular identification, Phaeangium, Picoa sp
- Calongea, a new genus of truffles in the Pezizaceae (Pezizales)
- Improved resolution of major clades within Tuber and taxonomy of species within the Tuber gibbosum complex
- Comparative taxonomy of desert truffles of the Australian outback and the African Kalahari
XML: View XML