Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Workshop approach for developing climate change adaptation strategies and actions for natural resource management agencies in the United StatesAuthor(s): Jessica E. Halofsky; David L Peterson; Michael J. Furniss; Linda A. Joyce; Constance I. Millar; Ronald P. Neilson
Source: Journal of Forestry. 109(4): 219-225
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (528.75 KB)
DescriptionConcrete ways to adapt to climate change are needed to help land-management agencies take steps to incorporate climate change into management and take advantage of opportunities to balance the negative effects of climate change. Because the development of adaptation tools and strategies is at an early stage, it is important that ideas and strategies are disseminated quickly to advance thinking and practice. Here, we offer an example of a successful workshop, focused on National Forests in the United States, which allowed quick dissemination of ideas and strategies for climate change adaptation in resource management through an interaction between scientists and managers. We share both the process used in the workshop and the outcome of facilitated dialogue at the workshop. By presenting concrete adaptation methods and showing the value of a focused scientist-manager dialogue, we hope to motivate the US Forest Service and other natural resource agencies to emulate our approach and begin the process of adapting to climate change.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHalofsky, Jessica E.; Peterson, David L; Furniss, Michael J.; Joyce, Linda A.; Millar, Constance I.; Neilson, Ronald P. 2011. Workshop approach for developing climate change adaptation strategies and actions for natural resource management agencies in the United States. Journal of Forestry. 109(4): 219-225.
Keywordsclimate change, adaptation, forest management
- Implementing climate change adaptation in forested regions of the United States
- Adapting to climate change at Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park
- Responding to climate change impacts in the Sky Island Region: From planning to action
XML: View XML