Skip to Main Content
Consumer and manufacturer perceptions of hardwood panels made from character-marked lumberAuthor(s): D. Nicholls; M. Bumgardner; V. Barber
Source: International Wood Products Journal. 1(1): 28-34.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (228.95 KB)
DescriptionHardwood panels made from edge-glued material are a versatile product that could be within the reach of many smaller wood products firms. However, products would need to be accepted throughout the supply chain for this opportunity to be achieved. This study evaluated preferences of consumers and manufacturers towards edge-glued panels from Alaskan red alder and paper birch. A total of 11 panels were constructed, including different levels of character-mark features such as knots and natural stain. We found strong preferences for the birch panel having high levels of natural stain. This panel was also the highest rated panel on three attributes (character marks, grain consistency and overall colour). Both residential consumers and wood products producers preferred birch panels featuring natural stain to birch panels featuring knots. Both groups also preferred red alder panels that were either clear or with high levels of character (but not intermediate levels of character). Residential consumers favoured birch panels (versus red alder panels) to a greater extent than did wood product producers and generally were less familiar with red alder than were producers.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationNicholls, D.; Bumgardner, M.; Barber, V. 2010. Consumer and manufacturer perceptions of hardwood panels made from character-marked lumber. International Wood Products Journal. 1(1): 28-34.
KeywordsEdge-glued panels, Character marks, Alder, Birch
- Edge-glued panels from Alaska hardwoods: retail manager perspectives
- Alaska birch for edge-glued panel production—considerations for wood products manufacturers
- Market opportunities for kitchen cabinets made from Alaska hardwoods: a synthesis and review of recent research.
XML: View XML