Skip to Main Content
Forest Phytophthora diseases in the Americas: 2007 - 2010Author(s): S. J. Frankel; E. M. Hansen
Source: New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science. 41S:S159-S167
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (892.01 KB)
DescriptionRecent findings, policy, regulation, and management relating to tree disease caused by Phytophthora species in wildlands and nurseries of North and South America are reviewed. These include the isolation of Phytophthora alni uniformis Brasier & S.A.Kirk in Alaska, and detection of population shifts in NA1, NA2 and EU1 clonal lineages of Phytophthora ramorum Werres, de Cock, & In’t Veld. The dissemination of Phytophthora ramorum from infested nurseries in water run-off presents a challenge for forest and plantation management. In the United States, forest Phytophthoras are viewed as a biosecurity threat and are monitored by the United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service but tools designed to protect forests and nurseries need refinement. In Mexico, Phytophthora cinnamomi Rand is recognised as a threat to Quercus forests. The Phytophthora pinifolia Alv. Durán, Gryzenh. & M.J.Wingf. epidemic in Chilean Pinus radiata D.Don plantations has receded. Work with Phytophthora austrocedrae Gresl. & E.M.Hansen continues in Argentina.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrankel, S. J., Hansen; E. M. 2011. Forest Phytophthora diseases in the Americas: 2007 - 2010. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science, 41S, S159-S167
Keywordsforest pathogens, forest Phytophthora species, invasive species, Phytophthora ramorum
- Phytophthora ramorum
- Distribution of Phytophthora ramorum, P. nemorosa, and P.pseudosyringae in native coastal California forest communities
- Proceedings of the seventh sudden oak death science and management symposium: healthy plants in a world with Phytophthora
XML: View XML