Skip to Main Content
Living with wildfire in Larimer County, Colorado, 2007Author(s): Patricia A. Champ; Hannah Brenkert-Smith; Nicholas Flores
Source: Res. Note RMRS-RN-48WWW. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 27 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (939.64 KB)
DescriptionThe devastating impact of wildfire on residents living in fire prone areas has become an all too common media story in recent years. While significant efforts have been made to inform residents in fire prone areas of the risk, it is not clear to what extent property owners are taking action to reduce risk. Likewise, we know little about what factors are related to taking action to reduce risk. In an effort to explore these issues further and to better characterize the wildland urban interface (WUI) residents of Larimer County, Colorado, a general population survey of WUI residents was implemented. The survey was designed to provide information regarding knowledge, concern, and activities related to wildfire and wildfire risk mitigation. Survey results suggest that word had gotten out about wildfire risk as most survey respondents knew about the risk when they decided to purchase a home in a fire prone area. Likewise, survey respondents expressed concern that a wildfire would damage their home or property. Completing more wildfire risk mitigation actions was found to be related to first-hand experience with wildfire and perceptions of wildfire risk.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChamp, Patricia A.; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Flores, Nicholas. 2011. Living with wildfire in Larimer County, Colorado, 2007. Res. Note RMRS-RN-48WWW. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 27 p.
Keywordswildfire, Larimer County, Colorado, wildland urban interface (WUI)
- Living with wildfire in Boulder County, Colorado, 2007
- Science You Can Use Bulletin: Fire on the mountain: What motivates homeowners to reduce their wildfire risk?
- Understanding change: Wildfire in Larimer County, Colorado
XML: View XML