Skip to Main Content
EPD--environmental product declarations for wood products : an application of life cycle information about forest productsAuthor(s): Richard Bergman; Adam Taylor
Source: Forest products journal. Vol. 61, no. 3 (2011): p. 192-201.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (454.0 KB)
DescriptionTransparent and credible environmental labeling of products is vital for a sustainable future. Ecolabeling shows information on the environmental performance of products, processes, and services. This article focuses on one type of ecolabeling referred to as environmental product declarations (EPDs) that provide environmental impact information based on life cycle assessment (LCA) data. Businesses and consumers who are not familiar with life cycle analysis can use LCA-based EPDs for comparison between competing products, much like using nutritional labels. In addition, this article describes the process of developing EPDs from LCA data in conjunction with product category rules and the status and future needs of EPDs in the U.S. forest products industry.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBergman, Richard; Taylor, Adam. 2011. EPD--environmental product declarations for wood products: An application of life cycle information about forest products. Forest Products Journal 61(3): 192-201.
KeywordsEPD, environmental product declaration, environmental labeling, ISO, LCA, life cycle assessment, transparency, green-washing, product life cycle, environmental aspects, forest products, environmental impact analysis, sustainable forestry, renewable natural resources, energy consumption, green products, renewable energy sources, green technology, forest products industry, environmental indicators, United States, wood products, greenhouse effect, greenhouse gas mitigation, sustainability, eco-labeling, product testing
- Updating of U.S. Wood Product Life-Cycle Assessment Data for Environmental Product Declarations
- Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis of Cellulosic Fiberboard Production in North America
- Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis of I-joist Production in the United States
XML: View XML