Skip to Main Content
Maryland's Forests 2008Author(s): T.W. Lister; J.L Perdue; C.J. Barnett; B.J. Butler; S.J. Crocker; G.M. Domke; D. Griffith; M.A. Hatfield; C.M. Kurtz; A.J. Lister; R.S. Morin; W.K. Moser; M.D. Nelson; C.H. Perry; R.J. Piva; R. Riemann; R. Widmann; C.W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-58. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 60 p. [DVD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (17.0 MB)
DescriptionThe first full annual inventory of Maryland's forests reports approximately 2.5 million acres of forest land, which covers 40 percent of the State's land area and with a total volume of more than 2,100 cubic feet per acre. Nineteen percent of the growing-stock volume is yellow-poplar, followed by red maple (13 percent) and loblolly pine (10 percent). All species of oaks combined account for 26 percent of the total growing-stock volume. Red maple is the most abundant species in terms of number of trees. There were about 5.9 billion cubic feet of growing-stock volume in 2008, and the average annual growth rate of volume has been about 2 percent. Additional information on forest attributes, land-use change, carbon, timber products, and forest health is presented in this report. A DVD included in the report provides information on sampling techniques, estimation procedures, tables of population estimates, raw data, a data summarization tool, and a glossary.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLister, T.W.; Perdue, J.L.; Barnett, C.J.; Butler, B.J.; Crocker, S.J.; Domke, G.M.; Griffith, D.; Hatfield, M.A.; Kurtz, C.M.; Lister, A.J.; Morin, R.S.; Moser, W.K.; Nelson, M.D.; Perry, C.H.; Piva, R.J.; Riemann, R.; Widmann, R.; Woodall, C.W. 2011. Maryland's Forests 2008. Resour. Bull. NRS-58. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 60 p. [DVD included].
KeywordsForest resources, forest health, forest inventory, Maryland
- Delaware's Forests 2008
- An Assessment of the Red Maple Resource in the Northeastern United States
- Michigan's Forests 2009
XML: View XML