Skip to Main Content
Dilute oxalic acid pretreatment for biorefining giant reed (Arundo donax L.)Author(s): Danilo Scordia; Salvatore L. Cosentino; Jae-Won Lee; Thomas W. Jeffries
Source: Biomass and bioenergy. Vol. 35, no. 7 (July 2011): p. 3018-3024.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (399.99 KB)
DescriptionBiomass pretreatment is essential to overcome recalcitrance of lignocellulose for ethanol production. In the present study we pretreated giant reed (Arundo donax L.), a perennial, rhizomatous lignocellulosic grass with dilute oxalic acid. The effects of temperature (170-190 ºC), acid loading (2-10% w/w) and reaction time (15-40 min) were handled as a single parameter, combined severity. We explored the change in hemicellulose, cellulose and lignin composition following pretreatment and glucan conversion after enzymatic hydrolysis of the solid residue. Two different yeast strains, Scheffersomyces (Pichia) stipitis CBS 6054, which is a native xylose and cellobiose fermenter, and Saccharomyces carlsbergensis FPL-450, which does not ferment xylose or cellobiose, were used along with commercial cellulolytic enzymes in simultaneous saccharification and fermentation (SSF). S. carlsbergensis attained a maximum ethanol concentration of 15.9 g/l after 48 h at pH 5.0, while S. stipitis, at the same condition, took 96 h to reach a similar ethanol value; increasing the pH to 6.0 reduced the S. stipitis lag phase and attained 18.0 g/l of ethanol within 72 h.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationScordia, Danilo; Cosentino, Salvatore L.; Lee, Jae-Won; Jeffries, Thomas W. 2011. Dilute oxalic acid pretreatment for biorefining giant reed (Arundo donax L.). Biomass and bioenergy. Vol. 35, no. 7 (July 2011): p. 3018-3024.
KeywordsOxalic acid, ethanol, fermentation, giant reed, Arundo donax, pretreatment, biomass, utilization, biomass energy, fungi, biotechnology, yeast fungi, enzymes, hemicellulose, industrial applications, cellulose, biotechnology, biodegradation, lignin, lignocellulose, sugars, temperature, Pichia stipitis, chemical reactions, glucans, hydrolysis, chemical composition, Saccharomyces carlsbergensis, cellobiose, xylose, bioconversion, biorefining, alcohol, biomass fuel, biofuels, decay fungi, xylan, fractionation, saccharification
- Bioconversion of giant reed (Arundo donax L.) hemicellulose hydrolysate to ethanol by Scheffersomyces stipitis CBS6054
- Enzymatic hydrolysis, simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation of oxalic acid pretreated giant reed (Arundo donax L.)
- Giant Reed (Arundo donax): A Climax Community of the Riparian Zone
XML: View XML