Skip to Main Content
Progress of the Phytophthora ramorum eradication programme in south-western Oregon forests, 2001 - 2009Author(s): Alan Kanaskie; Everett Hansen; Ellen Michaels Goheen; Nancy Osterbauer; Michael McWilliams; Jon Laine; Michael Thompson; Stacy Savona; Harvey Timeaus; Bill Woosley; Wendy Sutton; Paul Reeser; Rick Schultz; Dan Hilburn
Source: New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science. 41S: S169-S175. [published on-line: 24/11/2011]
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.89 MB)
DescriptionSudden Oak Death (SOD) disease caused by Phytophthora ramorum Werres, de Cock & Man in't Veld was first discovered in Oregon forests in July 2001. Since then, an interagency team has been attempting to eradicate the pathogen though a programme of early detection (aerial and ground surveys, stream baiting) and destruction (herbicide treatment, felling and burning) of infected and nearby host plants, which has evolved over time. Post-treatment monitoring has indicated that although the disease has been eliminated from many of the sites and spread of inoculum may have been reduced, the disease continues to spread slowly. The quarantine area has expanded from 23 km² in 2001 to 420 km² in 2009. We attribute continued spread of the disease to the slow development of recognisable symptoms and to delays in treatment application associated with inconsistencies in funding.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKanaskie, Alan; Hansen, Everett; Goheen, Ellen Michaels; Osterbauer, Nancy; McWilliams, Michael; Laine, Jon; Thompson, Michael; Savona, Stacy; Timeaus, Harvey; Woosley, Bill; Sutton, Wendy; Reeser, Paul; Schultz, Rick; Hilburn, Dan. 2011. Progress of the Phytophthora ramorum eradication programme in south-western Oregon forests, 2001 – 2009. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science. 41S: S169-S175. [published on-line: 24/11/2011]
Keywordseradication, Notholithocarpus densiflorus, Sudden Oak Death, Oregon, Phytophthora ramorum, tanoak.
- Detection and eradication of Phytophthora ramorum from Oregon forests, 2001-2011
- The new Phytophthora ramorum dynamic in Europe: spread to larch
- An Overview of Phytophthora ramorum in Washington State
XML: View XML