Skip to Main Content
Impact of revised and potential future albedo estimates on CCSM3 simulations of growing-season surface temperature fields for North AmericaAuthor(s): Warren E. Heilman; David Y. Hollinger; Xiuping Li; Xindi Bain; Shiyuan Zhong
Source: Atmospheric Science Letters. DOI:10.1002/as.301.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (503.57 KB)
DescriptionRecently published albedo research has resulted in improved growing-season albedo estimates for forest and grassland vegetation. The impact of these improved estimates on the ability of climate models to simulate growing-season surface temperature patterns is unknown. We have developed a set of current-climate surface temperature scenarios for North America using the Community Climate System Model - Version 3 (CCSM3). Simulation results suggest that modifications to the default CCSM3 radiative parameters that are consistent with more recent accurate measurements of albedo values for grasslands and needle-leaf deciduous trees (NDTs) can reduce the overall growing-season surface temperature bias over North America in CCSM3 simulations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeilman, Warren E.; Hollinger, David Y.; Li, Xiuping; Bain, Xindi; Zhong, Shiyuan. 2010. Impact of revised and potential future albedo estimates on CCSM3 simulations of growing-season surface temperature fields for North America. Atmospheric Science Letters. DOI:10.1002/as.301.
Keywordsalbedo, CCSM3 simulations, surface temperatures, North America
- Albedo estimates for land surface models and support for a new paradigm based on foliage nitrogen concentration
- An isoline separating relatively warm from relatively cool wintertime forest surface temperatures for the southeastern United States
- Evaluation of regional climate simulations over the Great Lakes region driven by three global data sets
XML: View XML