Skip to Main Content
The organisational structure of urban environmental stewardshipAuthor(s): Dana R. Fisher; Lindsay Campbell; Erika S. Svendsen
Source: Environmental Politics. 21(1): 26-48.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (151.91 KB)
DescriptionHow is the organisational structure of urban environmental stewardship groups related to the diverse ways that civic stewardship is taking place in urban settings? The findings of the limited number of studies that have explored the organisational structure of civic environmentalism are combined with the research on civic stewardship to answer this question. By bridging these relatively disconnected strands of research and testing their expectations on a structured sample of civic groups that were surveyed in New York City, a statistically significant relationship is found between the organisational structure of groups and both the organisational characteristics, as well as the types of environmental work they are doing. How these findings advance the research on urban environmental stewardship is discussed, as well as what these results tell us about the ways civil society engages in urban stewardship more broadly.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFisher, Dana R.; Campbell, Lindsay, K.; Svendsen, Erika S. 2012. The organisational structure of urban environmental stewardship. Environmental Politics. 21(1): 26-48.
Keywordsurban stewardship, local environmentalism, civil society organisations
- Activating urban environments as social infrastructure through civic stewardship
- Organizing urban ecosystem services through environmental stewardship governance in New York City
- Place meanings on the urban waterfront: a typology of stewardships
XML: View XML