Skip to Main Content
Terfezia disappears from the American truffle mycota as two new genera and Mattirolomyces species emergeAuthor(s): Gábor M. Kovács; James M. Trappe; Abdulmagid M. Alsheikh; Karen Hansen; Rosanne A. Healy; Pál Vági
Source: Mycologia. 103(4): 831-840
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.52 MB)
DescriptionReexamination and molecular phylogenetic analyses of American Terfezia species and Mattirolomyces tiffanyae revealed that their generic assignments were wrong. Therefore we here propose these combinations: Mattirolomyces spinosus comb. nov. (=Terfezia spinosa), Stouffera longii gen. & comb. nov. (=Terfezia longii) and Temperantia tiffanyae gen. & comb. nov. (=Mattirolomyces tiffanyae). In addition we describe a new species, Mattirolomyces mexicanus spec. nov. All species belong to the Pezizaceae. Based on these results Terfezia is not known from North America, Mattirolomyces is represented by two species and two new monotypic genera are present.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKovács, Gábor M.; Trappe, James M.; Alsheikh, Abdulmagid M.; Hansen, Karen; Healy, Rosanne A.; Vági, Pál. 2011. Terfezia disappears from the American truffle mycota as two new genera and Mattirolomyces species emerge. Mycologia. 103(4): 831-840.
KeywordsAscomycota, ascospore, biogeography, Pezizaceae, Pezizales, scanning electron microscopy, Stouffera, Temperantia, truffle
- Phylogenetic studies of Terfezia pfeilii and Choiromyces echinulatus (Pezizales) support new genera for southern African truffles: Kalaharituber and Eremiomyces.
- Comparative taxonomy of desert truffles of the Australian outback and the African Kalahari
- Deconstructing the Tricholomataceae (Agaricales) and introduction of the new genera Albomagister, Corneriella, Pogonoloma and Pseudotricholoma
XML: View XML