Skip to Main Content
West Virginia's Forests 2008Author(s): Richard H. Widmann; Gregory W. Cook; Charles J. Barnett; Brett J. Butler; Douglas M. Griffith; Mark A. Hatfield; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Randall S. Morin; W. Keith Moser; Charles H. Perry; Ronald J. Piva; Rachel Riemann; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-61 Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 64 p. [DVD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (33.53 MB)
DescriptionThe first full annual inventory of West Virginia's forests reports 12.0 million acres of forest land or 78 percent of the State's land area. The area of forest land has changed little since 2000. Of this land, 7.2 million acres (60 percent) are held by family forest owners. The current growing-stock inventory is 25 billion cubic feet--12 percent more than in 2000--and averages 2,136 cubic feet per acre. Yellow-poplar continues to lead in volume followed by white and chestnut oaks. Since 2000, the saw log portion of growing-stock volume has increased by 23 percent to 88 billion board feet. In the latest inventory, net growth exceeded removals for all major species. Detailed information on forest inventory methods and data quality estimates is included in a DVD at the back of this report. Tables of population estimates and a glossary are also included.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWidmann, Richard H.; Cook, Gregory W.; Barnett, Charles J.; Butler, Brett J.; Griffith, Douglas M.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Morin, Randall S.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles H.; Piva, Ronald J.; Riemann, Rachel; Woodall, Christopher W. 2012. West Virginia's Forests 2008. Resour. Bull. NRS-61 Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 64 p. [DVD included].
Keywordsforest resources, forest health, forest products, volume, biomass
XML: View XML