Skip to Main Content
Effects of taxation on the planning and implementation of intensive timber managementAuthor(s): David B. Field
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-29. Upper Darby, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 311-332
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.36 MB)
DescriptionTaxes on forest properties and on income from timber disposal impose one of the most significant kinds of cost burden faced by owners of interests in forest lands. Local property taxes impose annual charges regardless of the level of management, and may even be increased by intensive practices. Federal and state income taxes are usually second in impact only to property taxes. Federal transfer and state death taxes can seriously endanger the continuity of management programs from one generation to another. Taxpayers can significantly reduce the impacts of these taxes by an awareness of the advantages and pitfalls in each as they apply to timber management.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationField, David B. 1977. Effects of taxation on the planning and implementation of intensive timber management. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-29. Upper Darby, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 311-332
- Family forest owners and federal taxes
- Effect of taxes and financial incentives on family-owned forest land
- The impact of federal and state income tax liabilities on timber investments in the Midwest and Northeast
XML: View XML