Skip to Main Content
Forest and grassland carbon in North America: A short course for land managersAuthor(s): Chris Swanston; Michael J. Furniss; Kristen Schmitt; Jeffrey Guntle; Maria Janowiak; Sarah Hines
Source: Gen. Tech Rep. NRS- 93. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. [DVD].
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (12.26 KB)
DescriptionThis multimedia short-course presents a range of information on the science, management and policy of forest and grassland carbon. Forests and grasslands worldwide play a critical role in storing carbon and sequestering greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. The U.S. Forest Service, which manages 193 million acres of forests and grasslands, emphasizes the need for management to consider carbon stewardship in conjunction with other sustainable land management goals. This course aims to provide a broad background for public and private land managers who are interested in how ecosystems store and release carbon, how management can affect carbon storage and release, and how carbon can be considered in the context of other management objectives. Experts in the subject matter prepared each presentation and each talk was reviewed by a group of scientists and managers to help improve the clarity and content of the final recording. The DVD includes fifteen presentations, accompanied by references and links, and a set of quizzes on the material. Course material can also be accessed online at http://www.fs.fed.us/ccrc/carboncourse/
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSwanston, Chris; Furniss, Michael J.; Schmitt, Kristen; Guntle, Jeffrey; Janowiak, Maria; Hines, Sarah, eds. 2012. Forest and grassland carbon in North America: A short course for land managers. Gen. Tech Rep. NRS- 93. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. [DVD].
- Considering Forest and Grassland Carbon in Land Management
- Criterion 5: Maintenance of forest contributions to global carbon cycles
- Soils under fire: soils research and the Joint Fire Science Program.
XML: View XML