Skip to Main Content
The forest-land owners of MarylandAuthor(s): Neal P. Kingsley; Thomas W. Birch
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-63. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 78 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.08 MB)
DescriptionNinety perrent of the commercial forest land in Maryland--2,280,000 acres-is in the hands of some 95,800 owners. Eighty-seven percent of these owners are individuals. The average individual owner is middle aged, well educated, relatively affluent, and from a rural or farm background. Twenty-two percent of the private owners have harvested timber from their land. These owners own 53 percent of the private woodland. Forty-seven per cent of the owners intend to harvest timber from their land at some future date . They control 69 percent of the private woodland. Most owners show little interest in forestry practices. In fact, 12 percent of the owners have received some type of forestry assistance, but a majority of the owners do not know who to contact for forestry assistance. Twenty-six percent of the owners permit the public to use their woodland for recreation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKingsley, Neal P.; Birch, Thomas W. 1980. The forest-land owners of Maryland. Resour. Bull. NE-63. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 78 p.
- The forest-land owners of Kentucky
- The forest-land owners of West Virginia
- The forest-land owners of Pennsylvania
XML: View XML