Skip to Main Content
Comparing field- and model-based standing dead tree carbon stock estimates across forests of the USAuthor(s): Chistopher W. Woodall; Grant M. Domke; David W. MacFarlane; Christopher M. Oswalt
Source: Forestry. 85(1): 125-133.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.27 MB)
DescriptionAs signatories to the United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change, the US has been estimating standing dead tree (SDT) carbon (C) stocks using a model based on live tree attributes. The USDA Forest Service began sampling SDTs nationwide in 1999. With comprehensive field data now available, the objective of this study was to compare field- and model-based estimates of SDT C stocks across the US to evaluate potential directions for improving National Greenhouse Gas Inventory (NGHGI) reporting and C dynamics research. Field inventory data indicated that most forests have relatively little SDT C stocks (<1 Mg/ha), whereas large SDT C stocks (>25 Mg/ha) are infrequent. Models used for past NGHGIs to predict SDT C stocks do not accurately reflect what was observed in inventory plots, resulting in an overestimation (~100 per cent) of SDT C stocks at the national scale. These results indicate that the current estimate of the Nation's total forest C stock is overestimated by ~4.2 per cent due to overestimation of SDT C stocks that are a relatively small component of the total forest C stock. A field-based approach is suggested for use in future C reporting efforts to reduce estimation bias.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Chistopher W.; Domke, Grant M.; MacFarlane, David W.; Oswalt, Christopher M. 2012. Comparing field- and model-based standing dead tree carbon stock estimates across forests of the US. Forestry. 85(1): 125-133.
- An empirical assessment of forest floor carbon stock components across the United States
- From Models to Measurements: Comparing Downed Dead Wood Carbon Stock Estimates in the U.S. Forest Inventory
- The zero inflation of standing dead tree carbon stocks
XML: View XML