Skip to Main Content
Optical closure experiments for biomass smoke aerosolsAuthor(s): L. A. Mack; E. J. T. Levin; S. M. Kreidenweis; D. Obrist; H. Moosmuller; K. A. Lewis; W. P. Arnott; G. R. McMeeking; A. P. Sullivan; C. E. Wold; W.-M. Hao; J. L. Collett; W. C. Malm
Source: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 10: 9017-9026.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (627.43 KB)
DescriptionA series of laboratory experiments at the Fire Laboratory at Missoula (FLAME) investigated chemical, physical, and optical properties of fresh smoke samples from combustion of wildland fuels that are burned annually in the western and southeastern US The burns were conducted in the combustion chamber of the US Forest Service Fire Sciences Laboratory in Missoula, Montana. Here we discuss retrieval of optical properties for a variety of fuels burned in FLAME 2, using nephelometer-measured scattering coefficients, photoacoustically-measured aerosol absorption coefficients, and size distribution measurements. Uncertainties are estimated from various instrument characteristics and instrument calibration studies. Our estimates of single scattering albedo for different dry smoke samples varied from 0.428 to 0.990, indicative of observed wide variations in smoke aerosol chemical composition. In selected case studies, we retrieved the complex refractive index from measurements but show that these are highly sensitive to uncertainties in measured size distributions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMack, L. A.; Levin, E. J. T.; Kreidenweis, S. M.; Obrist, D.; Moosmuller, H.; Lewis, K. A.; Arnott, W. P.; McMeeking, G. R.; Sullivan, A. P.; Wold, C. E.; Hao, W.-M.; Collett, J. L., Jr.; Malm, W. C. 2010. Optical closure experiments for biomass smoke aerosols. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 10: 9017-9026.
Keywordsbiomass smoke aerosols, Fire Laboratory at Missoula (FLAME), smoke, wildland fuels
- Overview of the Fire Lab at Missoula Experiments (FLAME)
- Strong spectral variation of biomass smoke light absorption and single scattering albedo observed with a novel dual-wavelength photoacoustic instrument
- Grassland and forest understorey biomass emissions from prescribed fires in the southeastern United States - RxCADRE 2012
XML: View XML