Skip to Main Content
The Wildland Fire Emission Inventory: Western United States emission estimates and an evaluation of uncertaintyAuthor(s): S. P. Urbanski; W. M. Hao; B. Nordgren
Source: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 11: 12973-13000.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.22 MB)
DescriptionBiomass burning emission inventories serve as critical input for atmospheric chemical transport models that are used to understand the role of biomass fires in the chemical composition of the atmosphere, air quality, and the climate system. Significant progress has been achieved in the development of regional and global biomass burning emission inventories over the past decade using satellite remote sensing technology for fire detection and burned area mapping. However, agreement among biomass burning emission inventories is frequently poor. Furthermore, the uncertainties of the emission estimates are typically not well characterized, particularly at the spatio-temporal scales pertinent to regional air quality modeling. We present the Wildland Fire Emission Inventory (WFEI), a high resolution model for non-agricultural open biomass burning (hereafter referred to as wildland fires, WF) in the contiguous United States (CONUS). The model combines observations from the MODerate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) sensors on the Terra and Aqua satellites, meteorological analyses, fuel loading maps, an emission factor database, and fuel condition and fuel consumption models to estimate emissions from WF.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationUrbanski, S. P.; Hao, W. M.; Nordgren, B. 2011. The Wildland Fire Emission Inventory: Western United States emission estimates and an evaluation of uncertainty. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 11: 12973-13000.
Keywordswildland fire emission, biomass burning
- A wildland fire emission inventory for the western United States - uncertainty across spatial and temporal scales
- Estimates of wildland fire emissions
- Chemical composition of wildland fire emissions
XML: View XML