Skip to Main Content
Provenance variability in nursery growth of subalpine firAuthor(s): Charlie Cartwright; Cheng Ying
Source: In: Riley, L. E.; Haase, D. L.; Pinto, J. R., tech. coords. National Proceedings: Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations - 2010. Proc. RMRS-P-65. Fort Collins, CO: USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 110-114.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (547.11 KB)
DescriptionSubalpine fir (Abies lasiocarpa [Hook] Nutt.) is a wide-ranging, high-elevation species in the interior of British Columbia. It is commonly harvested for lumber, but replanting of it is limited. Some reticence is based upon wood quality and rate of growth, but there are also seed and nursery culturing difficulties. This study investigated seedling growth traits of 111 provenances grown in four nurseries. Considerable variation in growth potential was found. The strength of nursery effects and correlations of nursery height to height growth at 5 years in the field are reported. Recommendations for use of genotypes more amenable to nursery culture are presented.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCartwright, Charlie; Ying, Cheng. 2011. Provenance variability in nursery growth of subalpine fir. In: Riley, L. E.; Haase, D. L.; Pinto, J. R., tech. coords. National Proceedings: Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations - 2010. Proc. RMRS-P-65. Fort Collins, CO: USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 110-114.
Keywordssubalpine fir, provenance effects, nursery culture
- Decay of subalpine fir in Colorado
- Host-environment mismatches associated with subalpine fir decline in Colorado
- Age-class differences in shoot photosynthesis and water relations of Fraser fir (Abies fraseri), southern Appalachian Mountains, USA
XML: View XML