Skip to Main Content
Economic vulnerability of timber resources to forest firesAuthor(s): Francisco Rodriguez y Silva; Juan Ramon Molina; Armando Gonzalez-Caban; Miguel Angel Herrera Machuca
Source: Journal of Environmental Management. 100:16-21.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Download Publication (456.5 KB)
DescriptionThe temporal-spatial planning of activities for a territorial fire management program requires knowing the value of forest ecosystems. In this paper we extend to and apply the economic valuation principle to the concept of economic vulnerability and present a methodology for the economic valuation of the forest production ecosystems. The forest vulnerability is analyzed from criteria intrinsically associated to the forest characterization, and to the potential behavior of surface fires. Integrating a mapping process of fire potential and analytical valuation algorithms facilitates the implementation of fire prevention planning. The availability of cartography of economic vulnerability of the forest ecosystems is fundamental for budget optimization, and to help in the decision making process.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRodriguez y Silva, Francisco; Molina, Juan Ramon; Gonzalez-Caban, Armando; Herrera Machuca, Miguel Angel. 2012. Economic vulnerability of timber resources to forest fires. Journal of Environmental Management. 100:16-21. doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.12.026
KeywordsEconomic valuation, Fire economic losses, Fire prevention planning, Timber valuation
- Valuation of the economic impact of wildland fires on landscape and recreation resources: a proposal to incorporate them on damages valuation
- Resource values in analyzing fire management programs for economic efficiency
- Integrating teledetection and economic tools in the evaluation of wildfires impacts. The Alhama De Almería fire (Spain) case
XML: View XML