Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) control provided by emamectin benzoate and two neonicotinoid insecticides, one and two seasons after treatmentAuthor(s): Deborah G. McCullough; Therese M. Poland; Andrea C. Anulewicz; Phillip Lewis; David Cappaert
Source: Journal of Economic Entomology. 104(5): 1599-1612.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (762.9 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Largest Climate Change Experiment on the Planet: SPRUCE
DescriptionEffective methods are needed to protect ash trees (Fraxinus spp.) from emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), an invasive buprestid that has killed millions of North American ash (Fraxinus spp.) trees. We randomly assigned 175 ash trees (11.5-48.1 cm in diameter) in 25 blocks located in three study sites in Michigan to one of seven insecticide treatments in May 2007. Treatments included 1) trunk-injected emamectin benzoate; 2) trunk-injected imidacloprid; 3) basal trunk spray of dinotefuran with or 4) without Pentra-Bark, an agricultural surfactant; 5) basal trunk spray of imidacloprid with or 6) without Pentra-Bark; or (7) control. Foliar insecticide residues (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) and toxicity of leaves to adult A. planipennis (4-d bioassays) were quantified at 3-4-wk intervals posttreatment. Seven blocks of trees were felled and sampled in fall 2007 to quantify A. planipennis larval density.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCullough, Deborah G.; Poland, Therese M.; Anulewicz, Andrea C.; Lewis, Phillip; Cappaert,David. 2011. Evaluation of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) control provided by emamectin benzoate and two neonicotinoid insecticides, one and two seasons after treatment. Journal of Economic Entomology. 104(5): 1599-1612.
Keywordsemerald ash borer, dinotefuran, imidacloprid, ash tree protection, invasive pest
- Distribution of trunk-injected 14C-imidacloprid in ash trees and effects on emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) adults
- Evaluation of non-invasive trunk sprays and trunk-injected emamectic benzoate
- Spatial and temporal distribution of trunk-injected 14C-Imidacloprid in Fraxinus trees
XML: View XML