Skip to Main Content
IntroductionAuthor(s): Stephen R. Shifley; Francisco X. Aguilar; Nianfu Song; Susan I. Stewart; David J. Nowak; Dale D. Gormanson; W. Keith Moser; Sherri Wormstead; Eric J. Greenfield
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-8.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (12.27 MB)
DescriptionThe twenty states that make up the U.S. North are bounded by Maine, Maryland, Missouri, and Minnesota. Compared to the rest of the country, the North has a higher population density, relatively little public forest land, and many private forest owners with small forest tracts. Fifty-five percent of northern forest land belongs to nearly 5 million family forest owners. Management intensity for these forests is relatively low—only 16 percent of family forest land is covered by a written management plan.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShifley, Stephen R.; Aguilar, Francisco X.; Song, Nianfu; Stewart, Susan I.; Nowak, David J.; Gormanson, Dale D.; Moser, W. Keith; Wormstead, Sherri; Greenfield, Eric J. 2012. Introduction. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-8.
Keywordsbest practice codes, biodiversity, criteria and indicators, forest health, forest industry, invasive species, nontimber products, sustainable, timber products, watershed, urban forest
- Family Forest Owners of the United States, 2006
- West Virginia's Forests 2008
- Forests of the Northern United States
XML: View XML