Skip to Main Content
Strategies for sustainable forest managementAuthor(s): Stephen R. Shifley; Francisco X. Aguilar; Nianfu Song; Susan I. Stewart; David J. Nowak; Dale D. Gormanson; W. Keith Moser; Sherri Wormstead; Eric J. Greenfield
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 21-24.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.37 MB)
DescriptionSustainable forestry is widely discussed and almost universally desired, but tangible standards, goals, targets, or thresholds to evaluate sustainability are often defined vaguely. Identifying such standards is complicated by the diversity of forests, the diversity of objectives among forest decisionmakers (both public and private), the diversity of values among people who depend on forests, and the diversity of spatial and temporal scales that must be considered. The complexity of determining what is deemed to be sustainable, and by whom, leads to challenges in implementing and monitoring forest management.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShifley, Stephen R.; Aguilar, Francisco X.; Song, Nianfu; Stewart, Susan I.; Nowak, David J.; Gormanson, Dale D.; Moser, W. Keith; Wormstead, Sherri; Greenfield, Eric J. 2012. Strategies for sustainable forest management. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 21-24.
Keywordsbest practice codes, biodiversity, criteria and indicators, forest health, forest industry, invasive species, nontimber products, sustainable, timber products, watershed, urban forest
- Criterion 1: Conservation of biological diversity
- Criterion 3: Maintenance of forest ecosystem health and vitality
- Forests of the Northern United States
XML: View XML