Skip to Main Content
Criterion 1: Conservation of biological diversityAuthor(s): Stephen R. Shifley; Francisco X. Aguilar; Nianfu Song; Susan I. Stewart; David J. Nowak; Dale D. Gormanson; W. Keith Moser; Sherri Wormstead; Eric J. Greenfield
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 27-39.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.28 MB)
DescriptionBiological diversity, or biodiversity, is the variety of life. It encompasses the variability among living organisms and includes diversity within species, among species, and among ecosystems. High biodiversity enables a forest ecosystem to respond to external influences, absorb and recover from disturbances, and still maintain essential ecosystem processes such as regeneration, nutrient cycling, support of wildlife, and purification of air and water.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationShifley, Stephen R.; Aguilar, Francisco X.; Song, Nianfu; Stewart, Susan I.; Nowak, David J.; Gormanson, Dale D.; Moser, W. Keith; Wormstead, Sherri; Greenfield, Eric J. 2012. Criterion 1: Conservation of biological diversity. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 27-39.
Keywordsbest practice codes, biodiversity, criteria and indicators, forest health, forest industry, invasive species, nontimber products, sustainable, timber products, watershed, urban forest
- Strategies for sustainable forest management
- Relationship between aboveground biomass and multiple measures of biodiversity in subtropical forest of Puerto Rico
- Climate and biodiversity effects on standing biomass in Puerto Rican forests
XML: View XML