Criterion 6: Maintenance and enhancement of long-term multiple socioeconomic benefits to meet the needs of societiesAuthor(s): Stephen R. Shifley; Francisco X. Aguilar; Nianfu Song; Susan I. Stewart; David J. Nowak; Dale D. Gormanson; W. Keith Moser; Sherri Wormstead; Eric J. Greenfield
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 79-105.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (7.99 MB)
DescriptionForests provide an array of products and services that maintain and enhance benefits to our society and economy. Benefits derived from forests may be categorized into wood products, nontimber products and services, and ecosystem services. The value and volume of these products and services indicate the importance of forests for a wide variety of uses.Tracking values, volumes, and employment through the production process—from the forest to the end of secondary processing or other utilization— explains a key dimension of the socioeconomic contributions that forests make to local, regional, and national economies.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShifley, Stephen R.; Aguilar, Francisco X.; Song, Nianfu; Stewart, Susan I.; Nowak, David J.; Gormanson, Dale D.; Moser, W. Keith; Wormstead, Sherri; Greenfield, Eric J. 2012. Criterion 6: Maintenance and enhancement of long-term multiple socioeconomic benefits to meet the needs of societies. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; et al. 2012. Forests of the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 79-105.
Keywordsbest practice codes, biodiversity, criteria and indicators, forest health, forest industry, invasive species, nontimber products, sustainable, timber products, watershed, urban forest
- Proceedings: linking healthy forests and communities through Alaska value-added forest products.
- Nontimber forest products in the United States: an analysis for the 2015 National Sustainable Forest Report
- Freshwater resources in designated wilderness areas of the United States: A state-of-knowledge review
XML: View XML