Skip to Main Content
Photosynthetic response, survival, and growth of three ponderosa pine stocktypes under water stress enhanced by vegetative competitionAuthor(s): Jeremiah R. Pinto; John D. Marshall; R. Kasten Dumroese; Anthony S. Davis; Douglas R. Cobos
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 42: 333-344.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (604.93 KB)
DescriptionSelecting the proper stock type for reforestation on dry sites can be critical for the long-term survival and growth of seedlings. In this study, we use a novel approach to understand stock type selection on a site where drought was induced with vegetative competition. Three ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa Lawson & C. Lawson var. ponderosa C. Lawson) seedling stock types were planted in the field and subjected to three levels of competition. Winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L. em.) was sown in three densities (0, 150, and 300 plants·m-2) and was successfully used as a model competitor to create drought conditions. High rates of net photosynthesis (A) indicated that seedlings with adequate soil moisture and without vegetative competition were established within three weeks. Conversely, low A, low soil moisture, and low predawn water potential measurements indicated that seedlings planted with vegetative competition were moisture-stressed and not established. Drought conditions created by the wheat caused 100% mortality among smaller stock types, whereas the largest stock type had a 63%-75% mortality rate.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPinto, Jeremiah R.; Marshall, John D.; Dumroese, R. Kasten; Davis, Anthony S.; Cobos, Douglas R. 2012. Photosynthetic response, survival, and growth of three ponderosa pine stocktypes under water stress enhanced by vegetative competition. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 42: 333-344.
Keywordsphotosynthetic response, ponderosa pine, Pinus ponderosa, winter wheat, Triticum aestivum
- Identification of novel QTL for sawfly resistance in wheat
- Behavioural responses of wheat stem sawflies to wheat volatiles
- Fuel Pellets from Wheat Straw: The Effect of Lignin Glass Transition and Surface Waxes on Pelletizing Properties
XML: View XML