Skip to Main Content
Gangs of Chicago: Perceptions of crime and its effect on the recreation behavior of Latino residents in urban communitiesAuthor(s): Monika Stodolska; Juan Carlos Acevedo; Kimberly J. Shinew
Source: Leisure Science. 31: 466-482.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (132.16 KB)
DescriptionPerception of safety is an important factor affecting the leisure behavior of Latinos residing in urban neighborhoods. Yet research on how fear of crime and fear of gangs in particular affect leisure of ethnic and racial minorities is underdeveloped. The objectives of this study are to examine how gangs operate in recreation spaces in Latino neighborhoods, how gangs affect the use of outdoor recreation environments and how Latinos respond to these issues. The study is based on focus groups conducted with Latino residents in Chicago. Findings indicate gang members are almost constantly present in parks, which serve as spaces for drug use and distribution. Moreover, gangs operate in other areas of the neighborhood making it unsafe to access parks. Participants employ strategies to address the gang problem including avoidance, protective and collective behaviors.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationStodolska, Monika; Acevedo, Juan Carlos; Shinew, Kimberly J. 2009. Gangs of Chicago: Perceptions of crime and its effect on the recreation behavior of Latino residents in urban communities. Leisure Science. 31: 466-482.
Keywordsfear of crime, gangs, Latinos, recreation
- Energy Expenditure associated with the use of neighborhood parks in 2 cities
- Ethnicity and Urban Park Use: A Cross-Cultural Examination of Recreation Characteristics Among Six Population Subgroups
- Physical activity locations in Georgia: frequency of use by socio-demographic group
XML: View XML