Skip to Main Content
Assessing natural hazards in forestry for risk management: a reviewAuthor(s): Marc Hanewinkel; Susan Hummel; Axel. Albrecht
Source: European Journal of Forest Research. 130: 329-351
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.02 MB)
DescriptionWe address the problem of how to integrate risk assessment into forest management and therefore provide a comprehensive review of recent and past literature on risk analysis and modeling and, moreover, an evaluation and summary on these papers. We provide a general scheme on how to integrate concepts of risk into forest management decisions. After an overview of the risk management process and the main hazards in forests (storm, snow, insects, fire), the paper focuses on the principal methods used to assess risks from these hazards for commercial forestry. We review mechanistic models, empirical models, and expert systems and consider the needs for different spatial scales of risk assessment, from the regional to the single-tree level. In addition to natural hazards and their secondary effects, we deal with economic aspects of risk analysis. Monte Carlo simulations to deal with volatile timber prices and ways to include risk in classical Faustmann approaches are briefly discussed along with the integration of portfolio theory into forest management decision making and attitude toward risk. Special attention is paid to the implications for risk modeling under climate change.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHanewinkel, Marc; Hummel, Susan; Albrecht, Axel. 2011. Assessing natural hazards in forestry for risk management: a review. European Journal of Forest Research. 130: 329-351.
Keywordsrisk management, risk modeling, risk assessment, hazards, risk handling, forest economics
- Natural hazard modeling and uncertainty analysis [Chapter 2]
- A review of recent advances in risk analysis for wildfire management
- Uncertainty and probability in wildfire management decision support: An example from the United States [Chapter 4]
XML: View XML