Skip to Main Content
Motivations and sensation seeking characteristics of recreational storm chasersAuthor(s): Shuangyu Xu; Sonja Wilhelm Stanis; Carla Barbieri; Jiawen Chen
Source: In: Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc; Watts, Clifton E., Jr., eds. Proceedings of the 2010 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-94. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 23-29.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (213.78 KB)
DescriptionLittle is known about recreational storm chasing, a type of risk recreation that has increased in popularity since the 1990s. This study was conducted to understand factors associated with participation in recreational storm chasing in the United States. Particularly, this study assessed the motivations and sensation seeking attributes of recreational storm chasers, as well as the relationship between both constructs.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationXu, Shuangyu; Stanis, Sonja Wilhelm; Barbieri, Carla; Chen, Jiawen. 2012. Motivations and sensation seeking characteristics of recreational storm chasers. In: Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc; Watts, Clifton E., Jr., eds. Proceedings of the 2010 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-94. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 23-29.
- An application of importance-performance analysis to recreational storm chasing
- Tornado chasing: an introduction to risk tourism opportunities
- Recreation fees: attitudes and perceptions of Region 6 Forest Service employees in recreation positions and non-recreation positions
XML: View XML