Skip to Main Content
Preimaginal stages of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae): An invasive species of ash trees (Fraxinus)Author(s): M. Lourdes Chamorro; Mark G. Volkovitsh; Therese M. Poland; Robert A. Haack; Steven W. Lingafelter
Source: PLoS ONE. 7(3): e33185. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033185. 12 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.39 MB)
DescriptionThis study provides the most detailed description of the immature stages of Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire to date and illustrates suites of larval characters useful in distinguishing among Agrilus Curtis species and instars. Immature stages of eight species of Agrilus were examined and imaged using light and scanning electron microscopy. For A. planipennis all preimaginal stages (egg, instars I-IV, prepupa and pupa) were described. A combination of 14 character states were identified that serve to identify larvae of A. planipennis. Our results support the segregation of Agrilus larvae into two informal assemblages based on characters of the mouthparts, prothorax, and abdomen: the A. viridis and A. ater assemblages, with A. planipennis being more similar to the former. Additional evidence is provided in favor of excluding A. planipennis from the subgenus Uragrilus.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChamorro, M. Lourdes; Volkovitsh, Mark G.; Poland, Therese M.; Haack, Robert A.; Lingafelter, Steven W. 2012. Preimaginal stages of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae): An invasive species of ash trees (Fraxinus). PLoS ONE. 7(3): e33185. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033185. 12 p.
- Biology and larval morphology of Agrilus subcinctus (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), with comparisons to the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis
- Differential utilization of ash phloem by emerald ash borer larvae: Ash species and larval stage effects
- Egg and larval parasitoids of emerald ash borer from China: potential for biocontrol in North America
XML: View XML