Farmers' objectives toward their woodlands in the upper Midwest of the United States: implications for woodland volumes and diversityAuthor(s): W. Keith Moser; Earl C. Leatherberry; Mark H. Hansen; Brett J. Butler
Source: Agroforestry Systems. 75: 49-60.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (379.4 KB)
DescriptionThis paper reports the results of a study that explores the relationship between farm woodland owners' stated intentions for owning woodland, and the structure and composition of these woodlands in the states of Illinois, Indiana and Iowa in the upper Midwest of the United States. Data from two sample-based inventories conducted by the USDA Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program were combined for this analysisthe FIA forest resources inventory and the National Woodland Owner Survey (NWOS). We looked for relationships between product value and investment in woodlands, as reflected in volumes and tree quality. We also examined whether measures of diversity reflected specific management focus.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoser, W. Keith; Leatherberry, Earl C.; Hansen, Mark H.; Butler, Brett J. 2009. Farmers' objectives toward their woodlands in the upper Midwest of the United States: implications for woodland volumes and diversity. Agroforestry Systems. 75:49-60.
Keywordsfarm, forest inventory, landowner survey, United States, woodlands
- Farmers and woods: a look at woodlands and woodland-owner intentions in the heartland
- Values and motivations of private forest owners in the United States: a framework based on open-ended responses in the national woodland owner survey
- Design, implementation, and analysis methods for the National Woodland Owner Survey
XML: View XML