Skip to Main Content
Probability- and model-based approaches to inference for proportion forest using satellite imagery as ancillary dataAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: Remote Sensing of Environment. 114: 1017-1025.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (295.76 KB)
DescriptionEstimates of forest area are among the most common and useful information provided by national forest inventories. The estimates are used for local and national purposes and for reporting to international agreements such as the Montréal Process, the Ministerial Conference on the Protection of Forests in Europe, and the Kyoto Protocol. The estimates are usually based on sample plot data and are calculated using probability-based estimators. These estimators are familiar, generally unbiased, and entail only limited computational complexity, but they do not produce the maps that users are increasingly requesting, and they generally do not produce sufficiently precise estimates for small areas. Model-based estimators overcome these disadvantages, but they may be biased and estimation of variancesmay be computationally intensive. The study objective was to compare probability- and model-based estimators of mean proportion forest using maps based on a logistic regression model, forest inventory data, and Landsat imagery. For model-based estimators, methods for evaluating bias and reducing the computational intensity were also investigated.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E. 2010. Probability- and model-based approaches to inference for proportion forest using satellite imagery as ancillary data. Remote Sensing of Environment. 114: 1017-1025.
Keywordsforest inventory, small area estimation, inference, stratification
- Inference for lidar-assisted estimation of forest growing stock volume
- A model-based approach to estimating forest area
- Satellite image-based maps: Scientific inference or pretty pictures?
XML: View XML