Skip to Main Content
Recent activities in flame retardancy of wood-plastic composites at the Forest Products LaboratoryAuthor(s): Robert H. White; Nicole M. Stark; Nadir Ayrilmis
Source: 22nd annual Conference on Recent Advances in Flame Retardancy of Polymeric Materials 2011 : Stamford, Connecticut, USA, 23-25 May 2011. Wellesley, MA : BCC Research, c2011: 12 p.: ISBN: 9781618394699: 161839469X.
Publication Series: Other
PDF: Download Publication (423.7 KB)
DescriptionFor a variety of reasons, wood-plastic composite (WPC) products are widely available for some building applications. In applications such as outdoor decking, WPCs have gained a significant share of the market. As an option to improve the efficient use of wood fiber, the USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory (FPL), has an extensive research program on WPCs. Although often ignored in discussions of WPCs, the flammability of WPCs can be a significant factor in certain building applications. This paper reviews past, present, and planned cooperative FPL research projects on fire-retardant treatment of WPCs and related topics.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWhite, Robert H.; Stark, Nicole M.; Ayrilmis, Nadir. 2011. Recent activities in flame retardancy of wood-plastic composites at the Forest Products Laboratory. In: 22nd annual Conference on Recent Advances in Flame Retardancy of Polymeric Materials 2011 : Stamford, Connecticut, USA, 23-25 May 2011. Wellesley, MA : BCC Research, c2011: 12 p.: ISBN: 9781618394699: 161839469X.
KeywordsWood-plastic composites, fire, cone calorimeter, flame, retardants, thermal properties, fire testing, composite materials, fire risk assessment, flame spread, fire testing, heat of combustion, combustion, fire prevention, testing, thermoplastic composites, wood plastic composites, wood flour, forest products industry, marketing, forest products, market surveys, decks, flammability, fire hazard, fire resistance, thermal degradation, ignition, fire retardants, review article, cone calorimetry
- Cone calorimeter tests of wood-based decking materials
- Effect of Boron and Phosphate compounds on Thermal and Fire Properties of wood/HDPE composites
- Effect of boron compounds on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of injection molded wood plastic composites
XML: View XML