Skip to Main Content
New York's Forests 2007Author(s): Richard H. Widmann; Sloane Crawford; Charles Barnett; Brett J. Butler; Grant M. Domke; Douglas M. Griffith; Mark A. Hatfield; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Tonya W. Lister; Randall S. Morin; W. Keith Moser; Charles H. Perry; Rachel Riemann; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: New York's Forests 2007. Resour. Bull. NRS-65. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 64 p. [DVD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (27.93 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes the first full annual inventory of New York's forests, conducted in 2002-2007 by the U.S. Forest Service, Northern Research Station. New York's forests cover 19.0 million acres; 15.9 million acres are classified as timberland and 3.1 million acres as reserved and other forest land. Forest land is dominated by the maple/beech/birch forest type that occupies more than half of the forest land. The volume of growing stock on timberland has been rising and currently totals 29.2 billion cubic feet, enough to produce saw logs equivalent to 87.1 billion board feet. On timberland, average annual growth of growing stock outpaced removals by a ratio of 2.0:1. The net change in growing-stock volume averaged 1.2 percent per year in 1993-2007. The report includes additional information on forest attributes, land use, forest fragmentation, forest ownership, forest health indicators, timber products, and statistics and quality assurance of data collection. Detailed information on forest inventory methods and data quality estimates is included in a DVD at the back of this report. Tables of population estimates and a glossary are also included.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWidmann, Richard H.; Crawford, Sloane; Barnett, Charles; Butler, Brett J.; Domke, Grant M.; Griffith, Douglas M.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Lister, Tonya W.; Morin, Randall S.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles H.; Riemann, Rachel; Woodall, Christopher W. 2012. New York's Forests 2007. Resour. Bull. NRS-65. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 64 p. [DVD included].
Keywordsforest resources, forest health, forest products, volume, biomass
XML: View XML