Skip to Main Content
Response of subterranean termites (Isoptera:Rhinotermitidae) to stressed nestmatesAuthor(s): T.G. Shelton; J.K. Grace; R.J. Woodrow; R.J. Oshiro
Source: J. Entomol. Sci. 46(4):284-291
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (937.73 KB)
DescriptionReticulitermes flavipes (Kollar), R. virginicus Banks, and Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki were stressed by holding them at 25°C or 28°C, respectively, in metal pans for 5 d prior to introduction into 1 side of 3-jar arenas (3 containers connected serially) containing freshlycollected nestmates. After 14 d, mass loss of wooden blocks was determined for blocks from the arena side to which stressed termites were added (treated) as well as those from the opposite side (control). Feeding effects of termite exposure to stress were inconsistent among species. For R. flavipes, there was no significant difference in feeding; whereas loss of block mass on the treated side in R. virglnlcus arenas was significantly greater (P= 0.0017) than that on the control side of the arenas. For C. formosanus, mass loss of wafers also was significantly greater (P = 0.0284) on the treated side of the arenas, similar to the response 01 R. virginicus.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShelton, T.G.; Grace, J.K.; Woodrow, R.J.; Oshiro, R.J. 2011. Response of subterranean termites (Isoptera:Rhinotermitidae) to stressed nestmates. J. Entomol. Sci. 46(4):284-291.
Keywordsdisturbance, stress, feeding, termite, Reticulitermes, Coptotermes
- Inhibition of termite damage by N`N-napthaloylhydroxyamine (NHA) : Reticulotermes flavipes (Kollar) vs. Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki
- Influence of Guidelines and Passageways on Tunneling Behavior of Reticulitermes flavipes (Kollar) and R, virginicus (Banks) (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)
- E1-09 Termite Choice Testing: What is it good for?
XML: View XML