Skip to Main Content
Distribution and Abundance of Adelges tsugae (Hemiptera: Adelgidae) Within Hemlock TreesAuthor(s): S.V. Joseph; J.L. Hanula; S.K. Braman
Source: J. Econ. Entomol. 104(6):1918-1927
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (261.68 KB)
DescriptionWe studied the distribution of hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae Annand (Hemiptera: Adelgidae), within hemlock trees for three summer (progrediens) and two winter (sistens) generations in northern Georgia. Eastern hemlock, Tsuga canadensis (L.) Carrie` re, trees were treated with 0, 10, or 25% of 1.5 g of imidacloprid per 2.5 cm of tree diameter at breast height and fertilized or not in a factorial design. Adelgid ovisacs per centimeter of branch were more abundant from June 2007 to June 2008 in the upper tree crown of insecticide untreated trees and when all trees were combined and that was the general trend for most comparisons. However, ovisacs were more abundant in the lower crown of insecticide treated trees in June 2008. More sistens nymphs settled on the upper crown branches than on the lower branches in summers 2007 and 2008. Higher eggs per ovisac were observed in the upper crown in February 2008 and in both the winter and summer 2009. In contrast, adelgids were more fecund in the lower crown in June 2008. On fertilized trees, eggs laid per adult were higher in the upper crown in February 2008. In summer 2008, eggs per ovisac were higher in the lower crown, but this reversed again to the upper crown by summer 2009. New growth of branches also varied among sample dates. These data demonstrate the variable distribution of adelgid and hemlock growth within trees over time and suggest that sampling only one crown area will not provide accurate estimates of adelgid densities.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJoseph, S.V.; Hanula, J.L.; Braman, S.K. 2011. Distribution and Abundance of Adelges tsugae (Hemiptera: Adelgidae) Within Hemlock Trees. J. Econ. Entomol. 104(6):1918-1927.
KeywordsAdelges tsugae, eastern hemlock, Tsuga canadensis, distribution, tree height
- Development of a rain down technique to artificially infest hemlocks with the hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae
- Comparison of suspendedbBranch and direct infestation techniques for artificially Infesting hemlock seedlings with the hemlock woolly adelgid for resistance screening
- Phenology of the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (Hemiptera: Adelgidae) in Northern Georgia
XML: View XML