Skip to Main Content
Rainfall and geomorphic aspects of post-fire soil erosion - Schultz Fire 2010Author(s): Ann Youberg; Karen A. Koestner; Daniel G. Neary; Peter E. Koestner
Source: Paper presented at the 24th Annual Symposium of the Arizona Hydrological Society; Watersheds near and far: Response to changes in climate and landscape; September 18-20, 2010; Flagstaff, AZ. 5 p.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (466.32 KB)
DescriptionThe human-caused Schultz Fire near Flagstaff, Arizona burned 6,100 ha (15,075 acres) on the Coconino National Forest between June 20th and 30th, 2010. Ignited by an abandoned campfire, high winds drove the fire over approximately 60% of the total area burned during the first 12 hours (U.S. Forest Service, 2010). The majority of the area burned at moderate (27%) or high (40%) severity across slopes of 30% to over 100%, through forests of ponderosa pine and mixed conifer. Nine of eleven 6th code watersheds were almost completely burned, with areas of high burn severity covering more than 50% in three watersheds and more than 70% in two others. Subsequent rains from the 4th wettest monsoon on record produced numerous floods and debris flows across the burned area and caused extensive damage to downstream communities.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYouberg, Ann; Koestner, Karen A.; Neary, Daniel G.; Koestner, Peter E. 2011. Rainfall and geomorphic aspects of post-fire soil erosion - Schultz Fire 2010. Paper presented at the 24th Annual Symposium of the Arizona Hydrological Society; Watersheds near and far: Response to changes in climate and landscape; September 18-20, 2010; Flagstaff, AZ. 5 p.
KeywordsSchultz Fire, watersheds, floods, debris flows
- Geomorphic aspects of post-fire soil erosion - Schultz Fire 2010
- Trial by fire: Restoration of Middle Rio Grande upland ecosystems
- A historical overview
XML: View XML