Skip to Main Content
Effect of nitrogen fertilizer on growth, form, and wood quality of eastern cottonwoodAuthor(s): D.S. DeBell; E.H. Mallonee; L.T. Alford
Source: Res. Note PNW-RN-4. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 6 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (460.67 KB)
DescriptionA 9-year-old cottonwood plantation near Fitler, Mississippi was fertilized with ammonium nitrate (150 and 300 lbs N/A) in May 1970. Fertilizer increased diameter (b.h.) growth of dominant, codominant, and intermediate crown classes by 109, 174 and 482 percent, respectively. Form class of fertilized trees also increased. On a whole-stem basis, specific gravity declined 3% following treatment. There did not appear to be any significant changes in fiber length due to fertilizer application. We concluded that positive effects of fertilization on volume growth far outweigh the slight reduction in specific gravity.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDeBell, D.S.; Mallonee, E.H.; Alford, L.T. 1975. Effect of nitrogen fertilizer on growth, form, and wood quality of eastern cottonwood. Res. Note PNW-RN-4. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 6 p
Keywordscottonwood, ammonium nitrate
- Inheritance of compartmentalization of wounds in sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua L.) and eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr.)
- Economics of Afforestation with Eastern Cottonwood (Populus Deltoides) of Agricultural Land in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley
- Leaf water relations and sapflow in eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr.) trees planted for phytoremediation of a groundwater pollutant
XML: View XML