Skip to Main Content
Skiing trendsAuthor(s): Charles R. Goeldner; Stacy Standley
Source: In: LaPage, Wilbur F., ed. Proceedings 1980 National Outdoor Recreation Trends Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-57. Vols. I and II. Broomall, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station: 105-120.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.17 MB)
DescriptionA brief historical overview of skiing is presented, followed by a review of factors such as energy, population trends, income, sex, occupation and attitudes which affect the future of skiing. A. C. Neilson's Sports Participation Surveys show that skiing is the second fastest growing sport in the country. Skiing Magazine's study indicates there are approximately 14 million active skiers in the United States. The U.S. Forest Service's nation-wide study of the skier market indicates there are another 13 million potential skiers.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGoeldner, Charles R.; Standley, Stacy 1980. Skiing trends. In: LaPage, Wilbur F., ed. Proceedings 1980 National Outdoor Recreation Trends Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-57. Vols. I and II. Broomall, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station: 105-120.
- An exploratory comparison of motivations and crowding norms between ethnic groups in downhill ski areas of New York state and Korea
- The skier: his characteristics and preferences
- Skiing in the Great Lakes States: the industry and the skier.
XML: View XML